Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day Three -San Luis Obispo to Monterey
















A facinating day on the road trip. I started off at 8.00am from San Luis Obispo - a college town. Coffee from the Black Horse- Cafe Latte with an extra shot, but still not real coffee. An nice town, but off to Hearst Castle for my tour. I booked this on boxing day from Port Fairy.

Hearst Castle is quite amazing- full of European gothic and renanance works of art - the most exquisite tapestries I have seen. The money this family had/has is palpable in the buildings and artwork.

Off down the road along the beatiful Californian Coast. A stop off to look at the elephant seals which are almost as long as an average car.

A drive along the coast was most stimulating. I am getting quite used to driving on the wrong side of the road and I have discovered that it is only when I am tired that I find it hard to cope with staying on the opposite side of the road.

Well this is California - the home of self improvement, so I bought a talking book - Jack Kornfield - on Buddhist Psychology to listen to as I travel along. It has been really fruitful to listen to this book - as it has many valuable insights.

The night in the Motel 8 at Monterey - it has free wireless broadband, microwave, fridge, TV and its spotlessly clean. What is more, it is just accross the road from my new favorite shop - Wholefoods Market. Imagine a supermarket full of organic and healthy food, with take home meals, organic beer (I'm drinking a californian organic belgian style beer now) real fruit - fantastic.

Tomorrow - the Monterey Aquarium and in the afternoon, I'm deciding between a bike ride around to Carmel, or a whale watching tour. It is good to stay in one place for more than a day, and I have done most of my travelling with only 110 kms to San Francisco where I will be for three nights including New Years.

1 comment:

Moderator said...

Hi Linda

Took me a while to check up on you but here I am. The video of the seals is cool. I'm imaginging the market and not liking it v. much ;)

Well off to see what you did on day 4.

Cheers
The other Linda